Staging your home before listing it is a proven method to attract potential buyers and help you get top dollar for your home. As Realtors, it’s our job to help guide our clients through every stage of selling or buying a home, and ‘staging’ is kind of a big deal. Staging a home involves decluttering, fixing up and neutralizing your home so that when people walk through your doors, they can envisage themselves living in a well-maintained, clean and airy space. When a home has an abundance of neglected areas, clutter, personal touches such as family photos, as well as outdated décor, it distracts the buyer and makes them less likely to feel that much-needed connection.
As we all know, home décor trends can change in a flash, so keeping up with what’s hot and what’s not is important before you embark on your home staging mission. Once you’ve dealt with the necessary repairs and needed improvements such as flooring or kitchen or bathroom upgrades, you’ll need to spend some time to refresh your home décor. Whether you are listing your home in 2019 or just looking to update your current home, be sure to check out these top trending décor hits and misses:
• Blue is the new hue – as well as rich jewel tones, dark, moody shades and black is back again
• Wallpaper works – but mostly the softer, floral textures and designs
• Natural, sustainable and eco-friendly materials – woods, stone, pewter, granite, glass and wicker make bold statements, and copper, brass and concrete are safe bets too
• Mixing fabrics continues to be popular, but this year it’s all about the statement pieces as well as velvet and velour accents in jewel tones • Healthy green plants & matching green accents
• Grey everything – it’s time to mix and match grey with other colours
• Accent walls
• Word art and monograms
• Faux suede furniture
• Boho trends such as macramé and other weaves
• Cherry-coloured cabinets and floor
Even if you are in a hurry to sell your home quickly and don’t have time for big projects like flooring, kitchen or bathroom upgrades, don’t worry. You can plough through the decluttering by renting a storage unit or bin, hire professional cleaners and a handyman for a day or more to help out, and either paint some rooms yourself or hire a painter for a fast, professional job. Add some finishing touches such as new curtains, cushions and accent lamps and you’ll be on your way to enjoying home-staging success. When your home sells quickly at a price you’re happy with, you’ll be glad you invested in the staging step. Don’t forget that the outside of your home will need some love too; curb appeal is half the battle! If a homebuyer doesn’t love the look of the outside, they may never even step inside.
If you have any questions about listing and staging your home in Collingwood, Wasaga Beach, Grey County, The Blue Mountains, Meaford or the Georgian Triangle, connect with Clairwood Real Estate. Our knowledgeable, experienced Realtors® are here to guide you through the various processes involved when buying or selling. It’s our job to keep up with the latest décor trends, industry news, local developments and more; it’s what we do! Connect with us today at 705-445-7085; we can’t wait to meet you!