With spring just around the corner, many people are already thinking of warmer, longer, brighter days. While we still have a bit of winter ahead and some good skiing left in the season, it’s always nice to start adding some spring décor touches around the home to bring in those gorgeous sunny vibes and look forward to all things ‘spring’! Here in our region, we are lucky that we experience all four seasons in their entirety, which allows us to enjoy the beauty of each one thoroughly before moving on to the next. Throughout the fall and winter for example, we tend to be drawn to bolder, darker, richer shades, and woody, woollen textures. However, when spring comes along, we’re more attracted to all things bright, light and cheery, so let’s get started on putting winter behind us and enjoying our brief – but brilliant – spring season.
Greening it up
We know that indoor plants help to clean our air and freshen up a home, and they also do wonders to improve our mood, especially after a long, grey winter. Incorporating more lush greenery throughout our homes is a fun, easy décor hack that can take any room from drab to fab:
• Grasses. Have you considered a centerpiece of live green grass, or maybe as a border for a hall or mantel? They are all the buzz right now and easy and fun to get growing!
• Living walls. For the more adventurous gardening enthusiast, there is always the ‘living wall’, which, as you can imagine is a heavenly way to bring nature indoors and it fills the room with lush, rich textures and scents.
• Accessorize – with succulents, vases filled with fresh tulips, and don’t forget that lovely snowdrops, daffodils and other spring bulbs will soon be in bloom, which look fabulous popped into tiny bud vases throughout the home.
One thing about winter is that we have our windows and doors closed up tight more than any other season, but with the onset of spring and those longer days, it’s refreshing to get that light and airy feel. Here are some easy ways to brighten and lighten up any room
• Curtains, blankets and throw cushions. Pack away those old, heavy, dark curtains and cushions to use again next winter and splurge on some colourful, happy spring replacements. Whether you prefer a crisp pale blue, or a trending floral or ivy design perhaps, changing up those curtains and pillows in fresh light fabrics such as cottons and linens will make a big impact.
• Tablecloths and placemats are another quick fix for fighting off dark décor. You can look for adorable pastels (think Easter colours), sunny yellow or aqua marine shades…the possibilities are endless.
• Switch up your art. A few key pieces of cheery or vivid artwork can transform a room’s mood in an instant. Don’t forget to also swap out any old wreaths for new spring-themed ones.
Even if you aren’t the type of person who’s particularly artsy or crafty, there are so many charming spring décor pieces to DIY that require little more than some glue or wire, if that! You can start by doing an inventory around your home of items you already have, such as mason jars, dried or artificial flowers, some cute Easter eggs and so on. Another big trend is copper-string lighting; what a better way to say ‘spring’ than with a whimsical, floral piece that’s lit up in tiny white lights?
Whether you love to keep up with the latest home décor trends, or you’re happier sticking to the classics, what matters most is that your home is your oasis. Don’t forget that you can always mix and match your decor to reflect your individual tastes, which also helps you transition from season to season with ease. Here at Clairwood Real Estate, we know homes and we know what helps sell homes. If you are thinking of buying or selling in Collingwood, Meaford, The Blue Mountains, Wasaga Beach or Grey County, connect with one of our experienced, knowledgeable Realtors® at 705-445-7085 so we can a head start on the upcoming spring market and get you into your next dream home.